2020 Legislative Priorities
Read the letter to our General Assembly Senators and Delegates
of the Virginia Grassroots Coalition
Create safe and environmentally healthy communities for all Virginians
- Combat climate change by requiring 100% clean energy including the transportation sector
- Reduce gun violence through universal background checks; extreme risk laws and one handgun per month purchase limitation.
Promote equity and human rights of all Virginia residents
- Ratify the ERA, repeal targeted regulation of abortion providers (TRAP) and consent
- End cash bail and pre-trial detention
- Legalize drivers licenses and in-state tuition for non-documented immigrants
Invest in our economic future by supporting our students, workers and families
- Establish a statewide paid family and medical leave program
- Establish a baseline "living wage" of $15 per hour by 2024
- Allow for equity in education by increasing "at-risk add-on" funding by 25%
- Strengthen opportunities for labor organizing, including by repealing "Right to Work"
Promote fairness and transparency in our elections and politics
- Ban contributions to elected officials by public service corporations and regulated
monopolies, such as Dominion Energy
- Authorize automatic voter registration
Equal Rights Amendment
Guarantee equality of rights under the law through
the passage of the
Equal Rights Amendment.
[Passed both houses of VA Legislature Jan 15, 2020.]